India is a country with a population of approx. 135.26 crores, no wonder it would have a wide variety of taste! Here I am listing a must try recipe at home- SOYACHAAP. Soyabean is called the vegetarian twin of meat and is a saviour for the vegetarians. Soya Chaap is made from soyaseeds and soya chunks and is highly rich in protein. It is a versatile dish as it can be prepared dry ,as curry , can be grilled or baked as per our wish. It is hugely popular in South Asian countries like India, Bangladesh and Pakistan. Below is the step by step procedure as well as ingredients required for this preparation.
FOR SOYA CHAAP STICK (approx. 30 sticks):-
1. ½ cup soyabean.
2. ½ cup soya chunks (optional ,if used add a good taste).
3. 1 cup maida / wheat flour.
4. Salt to taste.
FOR SOYA CHAAP CURRY:
1. 2 tsp oil.
2. 5 soya chaap sticks.
3. 1 tsp cumin/jeera ,1 bay leaf, ½ tsp haldi ,1 tsp ginger-garlic paste, ½ tsp coriander powder.
4. 1 medium sized finely chopped onion.
5. 1 and ½ cup tomato pulp.
6. 1 tsp cumin powder , 1 tsp red chilli powder, salt to taste , 1/4 tsp garam masala powder.
7. 1 cup water ,1/4 cup fresh cream/malai.
8. 2 tsp coriander leaves and ½ tsp dry fenugreek leaves, crushed.
1. Firstly , soak soyabean seeds ( ½ cup) with enough water for overnight.
2. Take ½ cup of soyachunks and boil it for 5 minutes, until soft.
3. Take out the soya chunks and grind it well with soaked soyaseeds ,till it turns into a smooth paste.
4. Transfer the paste into a bowl and combine it well with 1 cup maida/wheat flour ,salt and knead it. Rest the dough for 5 minutes.
5. Now prepare large ball sized dough and dust the dough and roll thin. Furthermore, cut with strips with the help of knife.
6. Roll the strips around icecream sticks and drop them into boiling water for 15-20 minutes. Now transfer it into cold water for few minutes and keep it aside until dry.
7. Take 2 tsp of oil in a kadai and roast the chaap sticks both sides, until golden.
8. Keeping aside the golden chaap sticks, in the same oil add 1 tsp cumin seeds , 1 bay leaf and cook for few seconds. After that add 1 finely chopped onion, 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste, 1 and ½ cup tomato pulp and mix well. Stir continuously till the tomato pulp thickens up and releases oil.
9. Next ,add ½ tsp haldi, ½ tsp red chilli powder , ½ tsp coriander powder, ¼ tsp cumin powder and salt to taste. Saute on low flame till the spices are well cooked.
10. Add 1 cup water and ¼ cup of cream and stir continuously for 5 minutes on low flame.
11. Further add the chaap sticks into the curry , cover it and simmer for 15 minutes.
12. Now add ¼ tsp garam masala, ½ tsp crushed kasuri methi and 2 tsp coriander leaves.
The Soya chaap curry is ready and can be served with roti, rice or puri. You can also refrigerate and store this recipe in a zip lock bag for a week or as required. This is a must try recipe!!