“Oreos are overrated!” or are they? The war goes on between the Oreo lovers and the eye-rollers. But both parties must try the Oreo cake. The first party because, well, they technically live for Oreos, and the second party because the cake brings out the best of the deep earthy chocolate flavor of the cookie, it’s super soft, it’s fast and easy, it uses only three easily available ingredients and baking can be therapeutic.
If you’re confused about measurements, the most medium-sized cup in your house or ¾ of an average coffee mug roughly makes 1 cup. The most used size of a spoon in your house will be 1 teaspoon and follow from there.
1. Take out 1 ½ cups of crushed Oreos, i.e. about 15 pieces (A long 30-rupee packet contains 12 pieces and a 10-rupee short packet has 5 pieces).
2. Separate the cream from the cookies and keep the cream aside to melt it later.
3. Take ½ cup crushed plain biscuits like digestive Marie. Remember it must be a plain biscuit lacking any excessive salting (like in Morocco) or butter (like in Top biscuits) as they can add their own flavor and we are only looking for something plain to dilute the punch of the chocolate flavor.
4. Blend the two biscuits in a mixer grinder till they become a fine powder.
5. Empty the powder into a bowl and whisk in about 1 ¼ of milk or till you achieve a melted chocolate like thick consistency. Keep pouring the milk little by little till the batter when poured makes zig-zag squares. Don’t fuss if it doesn’t, just keep the batter from being too thick or too runny.
6. Add ½ teaspoon of baking powder.
7. Preheat the oven at maximum temperature (230 degrees Celsius).
8. Grease the cake molds with oil or butter and pour in the batter making sure it barely fills half of the mold so that it has enough space to rise and it retains shape.
9. For cupcake molds, the baking time is 3 minutes. Insert a toothpick or knife to check if it comes out clean. If it’s clean the cake is done.
10. Melt the Oreo cream and use it as icing. Decorate it with sprinkles or Oreo crumbs and your 3 ingredient Oreo cake is ready to enjoy.